Organization Description: Southside Community Land Trust (SCLT) provides access to land, education and other resources so people in Greater Providence can grow food in environmentally sustainable ways and create community food systems where locally produced, affordable, and healthy food is available to all. Each year, over 2,500 people benefit from SCLT’s programs which include community gardens, youth employment and education, garden leadership training, food growing and nutrition workshops, and new farmer development.
Position Summary: The Youth, Farm, and Garden Associate is a year-long AmeriCorps VISTA position that begins June 19, 2017. It has been designed to provide the VISTA member with a well-rounded learning and work experience. The position provides opportunities to support multiple program, outreach, and capacity building goals of the organization.
Job Duties: The position supports 4 areas of work: Youth Garden & Nutrition Education; Beginning Farmer Training; Farmers Market Outreach; and Volunteer Management.
Youth Garden & Nutrition Education;
- Work closely with SCLT’s education team to plan and deliver youth garden and nutrition programming in Pawtucket and Providence
Beginning Farmer Training;
- Help to deliver farmers market training to beginning farmers at our beginner farmer booth at the Sankofa World Market
- Help recruit and track Rhode Island beginning farmers to participate in SCLT production and business training workshops
- Connect participating beginning farmers with market outlets that increase the accessibility of fresh, healthy and affordable food to urban Rhode Island communities
Farmers Market Outreach;
- Support SCLT’s farmers market outreach program, which invites residents to shop at their neighborhood farmers markets. The program has a special emphasis on incentive programs at the markets and access to culturally appropriate food
- Develop, recruit participants, and staff volunteer work days at SCLT community gardens, production farms, and community events
Other programs and events;
- Participate in relevant program outreach
- Support SCLT public events as appropriate
- Track and report program outcome data
- Contribute to SCLT’s E-News and social media
Job Duties are subject to slight changes as we work with our VISTA host organization, Hunger Free America.
Job Requirements: This position requires weekend and evening availability. This position requires the physical ability to move/lift heavy objects, to kneel/sit/bend on the ground, and work outdoors in hot or cold weather.
- College degree
- 18 years of age or older
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Ability to multi-task, and function independently or as part of a team
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, email, and social media
- Experience working in multi-cultural setting
- Valid drivers license
- Spanish proficiency preferred
Schedule and Compensation: 40 hours per week. Some evening and weekend work is required. AmeriCorps VISTA positions are compensated at $983/month and with a choice of $5,815 Educational Award which can be used to pursue further education or a $1,500 end-of-service cash stipend.
Other program benefits include: Health benefits (members must apply for additional coverage and reimbursement of up to $6,000), opportunity to forbear student loans while in service, relocation and childcare assistance, one-year non-competitive status for federal government positions, a network of over 180,000 AmeriCorps VISTA members and alums.
Minority candidates are strongly encouraged. Spanish speaking candidates are strongly encouraged.
To apply: Application deadline: April 2, 2017. To apply, please submit cover letter and resume to Margaret DeVos, SCLT Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. At least 3 references will be required of all finalist candidates.
SCLT is an equal opportunity employer. This position is funded by the Walmart Foundation and The Corporation for National and Community Service.