Organization Description: Southside Community Land Trust (SCLT) provides access to land, education and other resources so people in Greater Providence can grow food in environmentally sustainable ways and create community food systems where locally produced, affordable, and healthy food is available to all. Each year, over 2,500 people benefit from SCLT’s programs which include community gardens, youth employment and education, garden leadership training, food growing and nutrition workshops, and new farmer development.
Position Summary: The VISTA Summer Associate position is an 8 week position that begins June 6, 2016 and ends July 31, 2016. It has been designed to provide the VISTA member with a well-rounded learning and work experience. The position provides opportunities to support multiple program, outreach, and fund development goals of the organization.
Job Duties: The position supports 4 areas of work: youth education, community garden and urban farm management, urban farm market outlets, and fund development.
- Work closely with SCLT’s Farm, Food, and Youth Programs Director to deliver and support youth garden and nutrition programming
Community Garden and Urban Farm Management
- Assist with community garden and farm acquisition activities – documenting purchases, researching sites, soil testing of potential sites
Urban Farm Market Outlets
- Help to deliver farmers market training to beginning farmers at our beginner farmer booth at the Sankofa World Market
- Support a pilot “food hub” site, including staffing the weekly aggregation site and assisting with connecting beginning farmers with market outlets
- Work with local farmers, farmers market managers, and SCLT youth staff to carry out a multi-faceted, grassroots outreach campaign promoting three Providence farmers markets and nutrition education
- Work closely with Development Director and Fund Development Committee to plan and execute fund development events including the Sky Hill Farm Ribbon Cutting celebration
Other Programs and Events
- Participate in relevant program outreach
- Support all SCLT public events as needed
- Track and report program outcome data
- Support fundraising/grant writing efforts as needed
- Contribute to SCLT’s E-News, newsletters and social media
Job Requirements: This position requires weekend and evening availability. This position requires the physical ability to move/lift heavy objects, to kneel/sit/bend on the ground, and work outdoors in hot or cold weather.
- 18 years of age or older
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Ability to multi-task, and function independently or as part of a team
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, email, and social media
- Experience working in multi-cultural setting
- Conversational Spanish strongly preferred
Schedule: 40 hours per week. Some evening and weekend work is required.
- $452.45 living allowance, paid biweekly
- Segal Education Award (~$1,222.22) or a $230 end-of-service stipend
- Paid holidays
- Experience in the nonprofit sector
- A network of over 180,000 AmeriCorps VISTA members and alums
Minority candidates are strongly encouraged. Spanish speaking candidates are strongly encouraged.
To apply: Review of applications will begin immediately, with a final deadline of April 25, 2016. To apply, please submit cover letter and resume to Margaret DeVos, SCLT Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. At least 3 references will be required of all finalist candidates.
SCLT is an equal opportunity employer. This position is funded by the Walmart Foundation and The Corporation for National and Community Service.