Organization Description: Southside Community Land Trust (SCLT) provides access to land, education and other resources so people in Greater Providence can grow food in environmentally sustainable ways and create community food systems where locally produced, affordable, and healthy food is available to all. Each year, over 2,500 people benefit from SCLT’s programs which include community gardens, youth employment and education, garden leadership training, food growing and nutrition workshops, and new farmer development.
Position Summary: The Providence Youth, Farm, and Garden Associate is a year-long AmeriCorps VISTA position that begins in June 2016. It has been designed to provide the VISTA member with a well-rounded learning and work experience. The position provides opportunities to support multiple program, outreach, and fund development goals of the organization.
Job Duties: The position supports 5 areas of work: youth education, community garden and urban farm management, farmers market training, nutrition training, and farmers market outreach.
- Work closely with SCLT’s Farm, Food, and Youth Programs Director to develop and run SCLT’s new Youth Enterprise Farm, including provision of educational programming.
Community Garden and Urban Farm Management;
- Work closely with SCLT’s Community Growers Director to manage Providence community gardens and the Providence Community Growers Network, including gardener recruitment, distribution of low cost or free gardening resources, and garden workdays.
- Promote and lead gardening workshops for adults and youth.
Farmers Market Training;
- Help to deliver farmers market training and technical assistance to beginning farmers at our beginner farmer booth at the Sankofa World Market.
Better Health and Gardens;
- Work with SCLT’s Farm, Food, and Youth Programs Director to deliver nutrition education classes in Pawtucket and Providence.
Farmers Market Promotion;
- Work with local farmers, farmers market managers, and SCLT youth interns to develop and execute a multi-faceted, grassroots outreach campaign promoting three Providence farmers markets.
- Promote SNAP/WIC incentive programs at Providence farmers markets.
Other programs and events;
- Participate in relevant program outreach.
- Support all SCLT public events as needed.
- Track and report program outcome data.
- Support fundraising/grant writing efforts as needed.
- Contribute to SCLT’s E-News.
Job Duties are subject to slight changes as we work with our VISTA host organization, Hunger Free America.
Job Requirements: This position requires weekend and evening availability. This position requires the physical ability to move/lift heavy objects, to kneel/sit/bend on the ground, and work outdoors in hot or cold weather.
- College degree
- 18 years of age or older
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Ability to multi-task, and function independently or as part of a team
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, email, and social media
- Experience working in multi-cultural setting
- Valid drivers license
- Conversational Spanish preferred
Schedule and Compensation: 40 hours per week. Some evening and weekend work is required.
AmeriCorps VISTA positions are compensated at $983/month and with a choice of $5,730 Educational Award which can be used to pursue further education or a $1,500 end-of-service cash stipend.
Other program benefits include: Monthly public transportation (RIPTA Bus Pass), health benefits (members must apply for additional coverage and reimbursement of up to $6,000), opportunity to forbear student loans while in service, relocation and childcare assistance, optional life insurance, one year non-competitive status for federal government positions, a network of over 180,000 AmeriCorps VISTA members and alums.
To Apply: We encourage applications to be submitted as soon as possible. Final deadline is April 4, 2016. To apply, please submit cover letter and resume to Margaret DeVos, SCLT Executive Director, at email@example.com. At least 3 references will be required of all finalist candidates. Minority candidates are strongly encouraged. Spanish speaking candidates are strongly encouraged.
SCLT is an equal opportunity employer. This position is funded by the Walmart Foundation and The Corporation for National and Community Service.