Position Announcement: Sustainable Agriculture Program Fellow
Southside Community Land Trust (SCLT) has partnered with The Mission Continues to host a post-9/11 veteran as a Sustainable Agriculture Program Fellow. The Fellow will gain exposure and experience in sustainable agriculture by supporting SCLT’s mission across a number of program areas. Responsibilities include: assisting with operations at City Farm; organizing volunteer days at community gardens and Urban Edge Farm; assisting in community garden management; educating community residents about area farmers’ markets; delivering children’s education programs; and other tasks. (See page 2 for more details.)
The SCLT position will run April 25 to October 23, 2016. Fellows receive a stipend to support cost of living expenses.
Southside Community Land Trust: Southside Community Land Trust (SCLT) provides access to land, education and other resources so people in Greater Providence can grow food in environmentally sustainable ways and create food systems where locally produced, affordable, and healthy food is available to all. Each year, over 2,500 people benefit from SCLT’s programs that include community gardens, youth employment and education, garden leadership training, food growing and nutrition workshops, and new farmer development.
The Mission Continues: The Mission Continues Fellowship Program empowers post-9/11 veterans to gain professional experience in the public sector while working toward personal goals of full-time employment or continued education. The fellowship requires 20 hours of service per week for six months. Benefits of the program: Make an impact in your community; Gain practical experience in your career field; Join a service-driven team of veterans across the country; Stipend to support cost of living expenses; One-on-one coaching and mentorship; Attend a three-day service and leadership orientation
To Apply: Applications are due to The Mission Continues on January 11, 2016. To apply, visit www.missioncontinues.org. For more information about this position, please contact Laura Bozzi at email@example.com.
Job Responsibilities: The position will introduce the Fellow to sustainable agriculture and will support SCLT’s mission by working across a number of program areas.
- SCLT Farms and Gardens
- Assist with operation of City Farm, SCLT’s urban farm. Duties may include: greenhouse upkeep and propagation, weeding, hand-scale agriculture, transplanting, harvest and post-harvest handling, farmer’s market sales and customer service, wholesale deliveries, and farm outreach events
- Organize volunteer work days at Urban Edge Farm, SCLT’s 40-acre incubator farm
- Organize volunteer work days at SCLT’s community gardens
- Community Organizing for Urban Agriculture
- Participate in the planning/event implementation team and execute outreach activities for SCLT community events including Urban Ag Kickoff
- Assist with community garden management, including plot assignments and fee collection
- Make arrangements (including securing locations, finding presenters, and promotion) for SCLT’s adult gardening workshops. Co-lead or lead workshops as needed
- Educate community residents about urban farmers’ markets as a means to improve healthy food access. Tasks may include: arranging and leading community presentations; developing outreach materials; and distributing outreach materials
- Assist with Outreach Activities such as writing newsletter articles, developing flyers, social media posts, etc.
- Youth Education Programs
- Deliver children’s education program at 1 program site
- Assist with other aspects of SCLT youth farm intern program and children’s education program, as needed
- Experience or interest in agriculture programs
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Computer skills: Microsoft Word, Excel, email, and social media
- Interest in continually improving programs and work processes, and a commitment to producing an excellent work product
- Ability to work both independently and as a team member
- Weekend and evening availability
- Physical ability to move/lift heavy objects, kneel/sit/bend on the ground, and work outdoors in hot or cold weather.
- SCLT serves a large Spanish speaking population – Spanish speaking fellows are strongly encouraged to apply