Southside Community Land Trust (SCLT), in partnership with the New York City Coalition Against Hunger, is seeking a year-long Americorps VISTA Member who will use his or her passion for a more just society along with robust interests and/or abilities in urban agriculture, marketing and communications to amplify the impact of SCLT’s programs.
Organization Description: SCLT improves health, economic security and the environment in Rhode Island by providing thousands of families with access to land, resources, and education to grow food. We support a network of 43 community gardens and 4 sustainable farms in Greater Providence. We offer nutrition, food preparation and gardening workshops for adults; youth employment and environmental education; beginning farmer support and training; and advocacy for urban agriculture initiatives. SCLT offers a supportive culture and meaningful work experience. SCLT VISTA members and employees develop lifelong friendships and values while advancing environmental, economic and social justice.
Position Description: The VISTA Program Associate is a year-long position that begins in June 2015. It has been designed to provide the VISTA member with a well-rounded learning and work experience. The position provides opportunities to support multiple program, outreach and fund developments goal of the organization.
Job Duties: The position supports 3 areas of work: farmers market promotion, fund development and community gardens.
Farmers Market Promotion
- Work with local farmers, farmers market managers and SCLT youth interns to develop and execute a multi-faceted, grassroots outreach campaign promoting 3 Providence farmers markets.
- Develop and implement measurement program to track impact of marketing campaign.
- Attract additional resources to execute the campaign through grass roots methods as well as more traditional media like radio, public transportation, print advertisements, etc.
- Promote SNAP Education and Training programs at Providence farmers markets
- Offer nutrition, food preparation, and gardening workshops to adults and youth at Providence farmers markets and other locations
- Provide Technical Assistance to Farmers at SCLT Sankofa Market Stand
SCLT Fund Development
- Events – Work closely with Development Director and Fund Development Committee to plan and execute fund development events including Harvest Society Dinner, Dexter Ribbon Cutting, Harvesting Hope.
- Provide support for completion of Annual Appeal and Membership campaigns.
- Assist with outreach and promotion of SCLT fundraising events and campaigns.
- Grant writing – write 2-3 grants for SCLT farmers market/community gardens programming.
- Contribute content for SCLT enews and newsletters.
- Participate in planning/event implementation team and execute outreach activities for Urban Ag Kickoff and SCLT Plant Sale.
- Participate in SCLT membership and fundraising events.
- Assist with Fall resource distribution and workdays at Community Gardens
- Assist with Spring resource distribution and workdays at Community Gardens
- Promote and lead gardening workshops for adults and youth.
- College degree
- 18 years of age or older
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Ability to multi-task, and function independently or as part of a team
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Experience working in multi-cultural setting
- Conversational Spanish
Schedule and Compensation: 40 hours per week. Some evening and weekend work is required. Americorps VISTA positions are compensated at $983/month and with a choice of $5,730 Educational Award which can be used to pursue further education or a $1,500 end-of-service cash stipend.
Other program benefits include: Monthly public transportation (RIPTA Bus Pass), health benefits (members must apply for additional coverage and reimbursement of up to $6,000), opportunity to forbear student loans while in service, relocation and childcare assistance, optional life insurance, one year non-competitive status for federal government positions, a network of over 180,000 AmeriCorps VISTA members and alums.
Minority candidates are strongly encouraged. Spanish speaking candidates are strongly encouraged.
Application deadline: April 22, 2015. To apply, please submit cover letter and resume to Margaret DeVos, SCLT Executive Director, at email@example.com. At least 2 references will be required of all finalist candidates.
SCLT is an equal opportunity employer. This position is funded by the Walmart Foundation and The Corporation for National and Community Service.